Thursday, July 2, 2009

Chrome or Gold?




The question here is not really Chrome or Gold but more Good or Bad 'taste'? Last night myself and a friend stumbled upon this Audi R8 that had been finished in Chrome!? Now I'm not sure how this is achieved but the effects are both eye-catching and eye-brow raising.

As my friend and I embarked on a discussion he showed me a picture that he had just recently taken of a Bugatti Veyron (this is a £1,000,000 car) that had been finished in Gold!! Again, who knows how this is done and what the metal is actually made up of, I'm guessing it is painted with a paint that contains tiny flakes of actual gold rather than a plating system?

The question is, do you love or hate these cars, they're kinda cool but would you ever drive one? Bringing it into my main passion, design (of every kind), the question is, what is good and and what is bad design. Is the shock, the repulsion, the response alone what we desire or should it always fall into the realm of what is acceptable. I'm not keen on the cars myself although I was WOW'ed enough to take a photo, who knows where this step will lead.

Break the barriers and see where it goes.
(And somebody tell the guy with the Bugatti that if he has a gold car he really should get gold wheels)

No comments: